Passionate for plants..especially edible ones. Vegetable and herbs of all kinds find there way into my kitchen. The produce section, farmers market, is a world of color, shape, aroma and texture. Explore along with me as I experiment, ponder, taste and savor the foods of a vegetable lifestyle. I love having a herb and vegetable garden... and encourage anyone with a bit of land or a pot to try. Of course, these days you can't think of food or farming without considering being green or eco.

Pure Food and Wine - Raw Food Heaven

Lunch at Pure Food and Wine is Pure Joy.  As a novice Rawist, lunch at PFW was just what I needed to inspire me to continue my exploration of the world of live "cooking" and dining. I chose PFW as a destination in search of a higher, enlightened level of Raw cuisine.  My selection was spot on. As I searched the menu I was concerned... was this all vegan? To my delight, my server Greg confirmed, yes... indeed everything was dairy free and vegan. I was thrilled as I read the menu.  Wanting to get a complete sense of the food, as was my daughter, Alanna, we ordered the prix fix....salad, entree and dessert.  I have to say I was excited about the thought of dessert.  I had recently adopted the Raw eating style...and my dessert experiments at home ... I should say...were still in the experimental stage.







 © Ryu Kodama


The restaurant in set down a few steps. A couple of tables are set up in front outside, even though it was January in NYC and most likely no one would be sitting there.  It made it look appealing as you entered.  The dining area is not big but for New York standards it is what I would say "just right".  Candles flickered against dark teak tables set in a room mixed with dark horizontal wood panels, beautiful red walls and red fabric covered chairs. Understated, simple, modern zen like. Greg, our server was friendly and we shared our thoughts on raw foods and our excitement on owning a vita-mix...he just got one and I still visit William Sonoma to oogle one. There is also an outdoor area that was not open.


I ordered the Mediterranean salad, Brazil Nut Croquettes and Tiramisu.  Alanna ordered the Caesar salad, Tacos and Lemon tart.


Wiffs of aroma came from the kitchen and Alanna asked "if it's raw why can I smell it?"....it smelled delicious. Dehydrating is key to preparing some on the dishes...basically very slow drying at 118 degrees or less to retain the enzymes and nutrition. So dehydrating must release some sense of "cooking" in the air. Though the term dehydration makes one think of tasteless space food ,while in fact it locks in flavor and makes for a rich dense version of the food that is dehydrated. We joked that maybe they also call it "slow food"...because it took awhile for the food to arrive. But we were not in a rush and Greg even came out to apologize for the wait.


The entrees were both excellent. My croquettes were tasty... served with a yummy creamy hummus like side with a spicy infused oil accent and a bed arugula.  Alanna's dish came with three small tacos with heaps of guacamole and dollop of cashew "sour cream".  The tacos were good and I asked how they were made...fresh corn is pureed and dehydrated.  Simple but probably time consuming to make.
Both were fresh, presented nicely (I love rectangular plates) and filling!


Ok...here is my only constructive thoughts....the salads were decent...I loved the mix of arugula and kale and still...for a raw restaurant the salads should be amazing.  The caesar salad was basic and could have used more dressing.  The portions were a good size though. Next time I will skip the salad and stick with an entree and dessert..this is where PFW hits the mark.


The desserts were divine. The lemon tart had a burst of flavor. Velvet lemon custard with a dense graham cracker like base.  The Tiramisu was the best I ever had. How did they do it!


Excellent food, good service and a warm atmosphere.


Pure Food and Wine is a place that any foodie would be happy to experience. Raw food preparation takes time, thought and creativity.  The true essence of the food is never lost. The respect for the natural quality of the raw ingredients along with their infinite possibilities are to be found at PFW.   Live food has found its place to shine!


-Donna S. 


Pure Food and Wine
54 Irving Pl  New York, NY 10003-2314
(212) 477-1010



http://www.oneluckyduck.com/purefoodandwine/


Please note that the menu listing on the website is just sample of might be offered.
Their menu changes...it would be great if it was updated as needed.








$$+ (for lunch) 



3+ Peppers 







Scale 
$-$$$
1-4 Peppers

No comments:

Post a Comment